Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / 3D Software Rasterizing SDK Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Josh Baker

September 23, 1999, 02:19 AM

Hi,
I know software rasterization is nearly dead, as the world is shifting over to hardware.
Still though, I would like to provide software rendering support for my game for completeness, alongside
my OpenGL and Direct3D drivers. Could anyone reccomend a fast 3d software rasterization API or SDK, free
or commercial? Would be a plus if it had MMX and 3D NOW support as well, but not entirely necessary.
The only requirement is it would be able to raster textured and lit polygons to a Directdraw or DIB surface,
and do so fairly fast in sub-640x480 modes. I've searched the 3d engines list but came up dry, as most software renderers are dos only.

Power Render could have been an option, but software rasterization is no longer supported in the
new version 3 nor is 2.6 sold any longer. Thanks.

Jaap Suter

September 23, 1999, 02:12 PM

Might be a stupid tip but write it yourself :)

It's one of the most rewarding and coolest things you can do!!!

Jaap Suter

Chris Egerter

September 23, 1999, 06:38 PM

Actually Power Render 2.6 is included on the CD when you buy version 3. However the software rendering routines in 2.6 are limited to 8 bit color. You can probably find something that supports higher bit depths and MMX.

Josh Baker wrote:
>>Hi,
>> I know software rasterization is nearly dead, as the world is shifting over to hardware.
>>Still though, I would like to provide software rendering support for my game for completeness, alongside
>> my OpenGL and Direct3D drivers. Could anyone reccomend a fast 3d software rasterization API or SDK, free
>>or commercial? Would be a plus if it had MMX and 3D NOW support as well, but not entirely necessary.
>>The only requirement is it would be able to raster textured and lit polygons to a Directdraw or DIB surface,
>>and do so fairly fast in sub-640x480 modes. I've searched the 3d engines list but came up dry, as most software renderers are dos only.
>>
>> Power Render could have been an option, but software rasterization is no longer supported in the
>>new version 3 nor is 2.6 sold any longer. Thanks.
>>

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.