Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / mip mapping Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

dude

September 21, 1999, 02:58 PM

porgram a little in c, wondering, using 2 bits to describe colors, makes 4 colors,
i cant avarage 2x2 square to one color so what do i do? also assembly was only for 486
boards,(i think) i wont need to learn it will i, could i get resorces for fast programing.
thanks

Jaap Suter

September 22, 1999, 02:23 AM

Why are you using only 2 bits for colors? (That's not very much :)

By the way, a good resource?

www.flipcode.com

Baling

September 22, 1999, 03:12 AM

Dude,

Yeah, are you writing a game? If you are, and you're using 2-bit color depth, it's not much different from writing game to fit a monocrome monitor. So I don't see the purpose of using 2bits color, unless you're writing something else, which I might not know.

So if you're writing a game, an easy way is to learn Visual C++ and DirectX. If you program in C, moving into C++ won't be a problem. And learning DirectX isn't that hard as well. There are lots of things out there in the web, including Microsoft DirectX newsgroup where you can get to know anything about DirectX.

As for the assembly code, I don't think it's only for 486 machines. It fits Pentium processors too. Where as for Pentium MMX processors, it adds only some ten new instructions only, and the old intruction set can still work for the processor. Same thing for Pentium II and III.

Yeah Jaaf is right, this site is the best way to learn games programming. Stay here and ask questions, those experts out there will never let you down. Haha.

dude

September 22, 1999, 11:50 AM

just using 2 bit as example, to much math maken me crazy, so im tryin to think of every thing in bits, (really just studying programming) but hey thanks for the info, exelecent site

Baling

September 22, 1999, 12:29 PM

No, if you're using DirectX, worry nothing about the color depth. They do everything for ya. Unless you're doing additional functions yourself, like calculating transparent colors and so on.

Anyway, if you do writing some of those "color functions", send me one coz I might be using them. Faat, do ya have any of these functions? Try "The need for speed III", know how they do those cool graphics? Go check it out. Hope to get some ideas from you guys then.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.