Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Glide 3.x development + Voodoo3 woes Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Romesh Prakashpalan

September 17, 1999, 12:10 PM

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you develop Glide apps with a Voodoo3? I just bought myself a new system with a Voodoo3 3000 and when it hits a breakpoint (or crashes for that matter) I cannot get out of "full screen" mode or what I call the Black Screen of Death. On the Voodoo2 not only was there multi-monitor debugging but a handly Ctrl+Alt+Del brought the Task Manager and restored focus. Is there any way to do this, or is Glide 3.x development under the Voodoo3 (in Win98 second ed BTW) impossible?

Thanks,
Rom

Tchi

September 18, 1999, 04:15 AM

Romesh Prakashpalan wrote:
>>Hey guys,
>> I was wondering if any of you develop Glide apps with a Voodoo3? I just bought myself a new system with a Voodoo3 3000 and when it hits a breakpoint (or crashes for that matter) I cannot get out of "full screen" mode or what I call the Black Screen of Death. On the Voodoo2 not only was there multi-monitor debugging but a handly Ctrl+Alt+Del brought the Task Manager and restored focus. Is there any way to do this, or is Glide 3.x development under the Voodoo3 (in Win98 second ed BTW) impossible?
>>
>>Thanks,
>> Rom

I think i've got the same problem with a voodoo1, and i have found a trick to bypass this blackscreen. It will only work if you're developping under Visual C++ 6.0 (perhap's 5.0 works) : when you reach a breakpoint, or if an error occurs, just press SHIFT+F5 (shortcut to stop debugging), in most cases, it stops the app and returns to the error in your source (like a breakpoint or an access violation)
Hope this helps...

Romesh Prakashpalan

September 18, 1999, 12:15 PM

This is not the same problem, since the Voodoo1 was a passthru card (in fact you can plug a second monitor right into the output on the Voodoo1 for some cool multimonitor debugging, just buy a crappy 14" monitor!). The Voodoo3 is an "improved" 2D/3D board, improved in all aspects except for debugging :(.

Thanks for the reply though!
Rom

Tchi wrote:
>>
>>
>>Romesh Prakashpalan wrote:
>>>>Hey guys,
>>>> I was wondering if any of you develop Glide apps with a Voodoo3? I just bought myself a new system with a Voodoo3 3000 and when it hits a breakpoint (or crashes for that matter) I cannot get out of "full screen" mode or what I call the Black Screen of Death. On the Voodoo2 not only was there multi-monitor debugging but a handly Ctrl+Alt+Del brought the Task Manager and restored focus. Is there any way to do this, or is Glide 3.x development under the Voodoo3 (in Win98 second ed BTW) impossible?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks,
>>>> Rom
>>
>>I think i've got the same problem with a voodoo1, and i have found a trick to bypass this blackscreen. It will only work if you're developping under Visual C++ 6.0 (perhap's 5.0 works) : when you reach a breakpoint, or if an error occurs, just press SHIFT+F5 (shortcut to stop debugging), in most cases, it stops the app and returns to the error in your source (like a breakpoint or an access violation)
>>Hope this helps...

Xave

September 22, 1999, 02:56 PM

Romesh Prakashpalan wrote:
>Hey guys,
> I was wondering if any of you develop Glide apps with a Voodoo3?
>I just bought myself a new system with a Voodoo3 3000 and when it hits
>a breakpoint (or crashes for that matter) I cannot get out of "full screen"
>mode or what I call the Black Screen of Death. On the Voodoo2 not only was
>there multi-monitor debugging but a handly Ctrl+Alt+Del brought the Task Manager
>and restored focus. Is there any way to do this, or is Glide 3.x development
>under the Voodoo3 (in Win98 second ed BTW) impossible?

When debugging any full screen app of any API, I recommend using
a remote debugger, as in one computer runs the program while the other
debugs it. I think this can be done in VC++

Xave

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.