Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Hello people... I was wondering Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Joris "Prophylon" Jansen

September 01, 1999, 03:59 PM

who are all Dutch here? Might not be programming related or anything but I am just curious since I am Dutch myself.. (kan me niet voorstellen dat er Amerikanen bestaan met de naam Jaap =)) It kind of surprises me to find anybody from our lil country here =) So we got some programming talent after all... (now where are the companies?)
Well just found out about this place, has been very informative so far. I am trying to do some 3D stuff after I played with DD and finally do something usefull with my school math. Hope you guys can keep the good columns and stuff coming and who knows maybe I ever can create something else then my Rotating Triangle 0.1a (R) (somebody needs to work on that D3D DOC sheesh)

Take care,

Joris "Prophylon" Jansen
"A life without freedom is no life at all" - Braveheart

Jaap Suter

September 02, 1999, 02:58 AM

>>who are all Dutch here?

I (Jaap), Jacco, Jeroen (Bouwens) and maybe some others I forgot :)

>>Might not be programming related or anything but I am just curious since I am Dutch myself..

That's ok, local programmers should support eachother.

>>Kan me niet voorstellen dat er Amerikanen bestaan met de naam Jaap =))

Ik heb net op ICQ gezocht en er waren wel Amerikanen die Joris Jansen heette. :)

>>It kind of surprises me to find anybody from our lil country here =)

Holland ROCKS!!!

>>So we got some programming talent after all... (now where are the companies?)

It's because of our computer science education. It's way too focused on Database applications.
If you really want to however, there are some small companies.
But if you wanna do it for a living I suggest going to Amerika or England (What I'm planning for :) )

>>Well just found out about this place, has been very informative so far.

FLIPCODE ROCKS!!! It's the best development site around. And that's all
because of its personality. This isn't a full blown game development site full of adds and way
to much links on the main page (Hint hint hint, I'm not suggesting any sucking sites around :) )
This is a way cool site where people know eachothers front names.

>>I am trying to do some 3D stuff after I played with DD and finally do
>>something usefull with my school math.

Math can be very usefull indeed. MMM, linear algebra anyone??

>>Hope you guys can keep the good columns and stuff coming and who knows maybe I ever can
>>create something else then my Rotating Triangle 0.1a (R)
>>(somebody needs to work on that D3D DOC sheesh)

Yeah, the direct3d Documentation sucks bigtime. I sugest going to the directX newsgroup (if you
haven't already :) ) Cause they helped me bigtime when I was learning directX (and I still am
by the way )

>>Take care,

I will :) You too, and we should contact. Do you have ICQ? Or a homepage?

>>"A life without freedom is no life at all" - Braveheart

"A day withouth snowboarding is like a day on skis." - Jaap Suter

Joris "Prophylon" Jansen

September 02, 1999, 08:06 AM

>>I (Jaap), Jacco, Jeroen (Bouwens) and maybe some others I forgot :)

Wow. So you guys actually wrote some of the columns =)

>>That's ok, local programmers should support eachother.

That is a good idea =)

>>>>Kan me niet voorstellen dat er Amerikanen bestaan met de naam Jaap =))
>>Ik heb net op ICQ gezocht en er waren wel Amerikanen die Joris Jansen heette. :)

Ja kep ook niet echt een originele (achter)naam ach ja..

>>Holland ROCKS!!!

You can say that again mruhhuhuhahahaaha

>>It's because of our computer science education. It's way too focused on Database >>applications.

Ow that sucks.

>>If you really want to however, there are some small companies.

That write games like Jazz Jackrabbit 2....(dont get me wrong, great job, good game but if you see what other country's make )

>>But if you wanna do it for a living I suggest going to Amerika or England (What I'm planning for :) )

Well you guys could create a gaming company here and rock.. We have the knowledge and there are good enough modellers out here in Holland hehe.

>>This is a way cool site where people know eachothers front names.

I like that alot, Jaap =)

>>Yeah, the direct3d Documentation sucks bigtime. I suggest going to the directX newsgroup
>>(if you haven't already :) ) Cause they helped me bigtime when I was learning directX (and I >>still am by the way )

Well when I first start doing anything about programming I bought Windows Game Programming for dummies by LaMothe as you might know, and it helped me ALOT. D3D isnt so much different but the SDK docs arent very usefull Triangle example helped but its still kind of hard. Was comparing it to the OpenGL that seems simpler.. Well its not too late to change but I already know DD so I wonder if that isnt a waste of knowledge..

>>I will :) You too, and we should contact. Do you have ICQ? Or a homepage?

ICQ yes =) 27521931
Homepage well uh I have one at members.xoom.com/icecreature but its not really anything usefull it was temp page to show some EQ screens but that period is long behind me hehe its AC now =)

Greetings and hope to hear from you soon =) Trying to find yer ICQ now heh

Joris "Prophylon" Jansen
"A life without freedom is no life at all" - Braveheart

BTW kep je net geadd met ICQ en zag je op de UT zat.. cool =) Nou is het zo dat ik nog in 6VWO zit dus volgend jaar kom ik ff je kont schoppen op de UT..=) ga waarschijnlijk BIT doen. Wat doe jij?

Jan Niestadt

September 05, 1999, 05:38 AM

Joris "Prophylon" Jansen wrote:
>>who are all Dutch here?

Me too!

>>(now where are the companies?)

I recently did a little "research" into that and these are the ones that come close:
- Orange Games (not only Jazz, they're working on a next-gen 3d shooter, although the page hasn't been updated for a LONG time..)
- Davilex (ofcourse)
- Lost Boys
- Formula
- Engine Software
- Witan Entertainment (that's right, the old demo group!)
- Digital Infinity

If any of you know any more, let me know..

Jan.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.