Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Tile-Based Brushes, and fringes Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

GReYVee

August 29, 1999, 08:22 PM

Right now I am making a Tile-Based Engine for a RPG/WarStrategy game, and have recently
stumbled on a new problem to solve. While using the WarCraft2 Editor I realized that when
I, for instance, plotted a square of mud tile on a grass field, that the surrounding 8 tiles
are changed to a fringe that makes the transition from mud to grass look better, and not so
blocky. I have devised a method to do this, with an algorithim that decides which tiles to
replace and, if fringes overlap, which fringe to use instead. In most cases the algo worked
but not all.

The algo decided the changes by identifying the fringes by side and top owners. These are
just integers that are -1, 0, or 1 ( -1 : doesn't own this side or top) (0or1- side or top
it owns) ie. a northwest fringe, like topleft corner-peice of a 3x3 table of fringes,
own : side = 0, top = 0, or a eastern fringe(3,2 on 3x3) would own : side = 1, top = -1;

If your familiar with a method close to warcraft's editor, or one similar, and have advice
or some help, please email me at : grey@codenet.net

Thanx, GReYVee

This thread contains 1 message.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.