Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / 3d modeller Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

joe

August 27, 1999, 08:59 PM

I'm looking for a 3d modeller that would be suitable for use in games development.

I've browsed around a bit, looked at sced blender and 3DOM, any thoughs on the topic are
appreciated.
]
Joe

Jaimi McEntire

August 29, 1999, 03:21 PM

Hi Joe -

We use 3dsmax. It's great making game models - you can manually
adjust all the texture coordinates for precise skinning, and
you can easily make all your animations with Character Studio.

Jaimi

joe wrote:
>>I'm looking for a 3d modeller that would be suitable for use in games development.
>>
>>I've browsed around a bit, looked at sced blender and 3DOM, any thoughs on the topic are
>>appreciated.
>>]
>>Joe

dude

September 10, 1999, 11:52 AM

any opinions on hash's animation master?

Tim

September 13, 1999, 12:21 AM

I'm working on a 3d modelling package at the moment (Clayworks v3.0) which I hope will be perfect for games; Although I'm working on support for higher order surfaces, the polygon level tools are a lot more inutative than packages such as 3dsmax. I've tried to work out what I really want from a 3d modelling package and I hope that this coincides with other people's ideas. I'd appreciate any feedback from you folks.
The areas I'm concentrating on are these;
Object creation:This should be fast, easy to use and not pop up dialogs boxes all the time asking you what you want to call the object or how wide it's supposed to be. The creation process should be an artistic one, the exact parameters can be changed using a dialog box later, if required. There are currently 10 different base primatives.

Selection: Verticies, edges, polygons and objects can be selected independently using a variety of methods such as selection by bounding box, lasso and clicking on an element. The effect of these actions is also definable; you can add to a selection, create a new one, toggle, subtract and subselect. This is really handy, particularly in the 3d view where you can
paint a selection in those difficult to reach regions.

Manipulation: Once you've selected a region, you can transform it in a number of ways such as translation, scaling, rotation (about an arbitary point, defined by a 3d cursor that's also used in many other operations) and other more complicated deformations. You can either just translate the points, make a copy or extrude out from that selection; The extrusion process creates a set of bones that can be used to further deform the new extrusion or used in animation later. The extrusion is pretty cool; you can really easily make complex rotated forms using this method as well as weird spliney things. All object manipulations (including texture and material application) affect the currently selected region. These regions are an important focus in the package and I've tried to keep the interface consistant; In packages such as max it seems like a lot of people who didn't speak the same language designed each part as there is precious little continuity between areas of the program. This really slows down the creative process.
Obviously I hope that my approach will be more popular and I'm very interested in any ideas that people here may have.

You can get more information on Clayworks, including screenshots at the homepage listed bellow. The stuff I've been talking about isn't available yet but you can download the ancient ancestors from that page; Don't confuse it will the new version, they are totally different!

Cheers,
Tim.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.