Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / DirectX 7 Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Unknown

August 20, 1999, 02:27 PM

Do the DirectX 7 need the runtime DLLs on other computers to run ??? Because the Microsoft
putted on-line the SDK 7 but didn't put the Runtime 7 (for home users). Is there something
I can do ??? (Sorry about english mistakes).
Thanks....

Raven

August 20, 1999, 11:50 PM

>>Do the DirectX 7 need the runtime DLLs on other computers to run ??? Because the Microsoft
>>putted on-line the SDK 7 but didn't put the Runtime 7 (for home users). Is there something
>>I can do ??? (Sorry about english mistakes).
>>Thanks....
Unless this changed since last time i checked DirectX7 was in developer-only beta. There are no homeuser runtimes, only beta runtimes and sdk for developers that want to try their engines out to see if it will work BEFORE the users start complaining:) It's not that useful for homeusers at this stage anyway since most of its features and optimizations are for to-be-released(is this trademarked?:) accelerators. I dont think there ARE real runtimes for it, i think it actually uses DirectX6 to simulate its code since the real runtimes will be almost useless on current systems

- Raven

brian

September 10, 1999, 03:54 PM

that's a load of shit.

the homeuser stuff prob. wont be available til the final ver. is released.

dx7 is on average 20% faster - IN GAMES THAT WERE WRITTEN FOR DX6. games written for dx7 should go even faster. than that.

it also supports projected textures, cubic environment mapping, as well as other nifty things. the only thing that is really dependent upon upcoming cards is the t&l stuff.

Raven wrote:
>>>>Do the DirectX 7 need the runtime DLLs on other computers to run ??? Because the Microsoft
>>>>putted on-line the SDK 7 but didn't put the Runtime 7 (for home users). Is there something
>>>>I can do ??? (Sorry about english mistakes).
>>>>Thanks....
>>Unless this changed since last time i checked DirectX7 was in developer-only beta. There are no homeuser runtimes, only beta runtimes and sdk for developers that want to try their engines out to see if it will work BEFORE the users start complaining:) It's not that useful for homeusers at this stage anyway since most of its features and optimizations are for to-be-released(is this trademarked?:) accelerators. I dont think there ARE real runtimes for it, i think it actually uses DirectX6 to simulate its code since the real runtimes will be almost useless on current systems
>>
>> - Raven

realtimeddd

September 20, 1999, 04:27 PM

brian wrote:
>>it also supports projected textures, cubic environment mapping, as well as other nifty things. the only thing that is really dependent upon upcoming cards is the t&l stuff.

Unless you are using the Direct3D software or reference rasterizer, how do you think projected textures ( or other features ) are going to get displayed. Remember, Direct3D isn't like OpenGL( aside from the list of extensions ), you have to check capability bits to see if the hardware supports features. Those aren't features which can be easily emulated in the drivers. Unless your engine is geared solely at the top of the line card, those features won't be available to the mass market for a while.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.