Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / 3d studio ase format Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Martin Wirth

July 30, 1999, 10:41 AM

Hi, y'all !!
I want to write a reader for the ASE format ... do you know any docs about that file format ? ( there'y nothing available at www.wotsit.org ;-(

Thanks in advance :-)

Martin

Twiggy

July 30, 1999, 01:34 PM

Martin Wirth wrote:
>>Hi, y'all !!
>>I want to write a reader for the ASE format ... do you know any docs about that file format ? ( there'y nothing available at www.wotsit.org ;-(
>>
>>Thanks in advance :-)
>>
>>Martin

Hi Martin.

I think there aren't any docs about the ASE format, because you don't need them. Just open an .ase file with notepad (or Word) and you see all you have to know to write an ASE-reader...

Kurt Miller

July 30, 1999, 01:44 PM

Martin Wirth wrote:
>>Hi, y'all !!
>>I want to write a reader for the ASE format ... do you know any docs about
>>that file format ? ( there'y nothing available at www.wotsit.org ;-(

There's some sample code for reading ASE files here:
Nate Miller's Programming Page

I haven't actually looked at it, but maybe it'll help you out.

-kurt

Martin Wirth

July 31, 1999, 03:59 AM

Twiggy wrote:
>>
>>
>>Martin Wirth wrote:
>>>>Hi, y'all !!
>>>>I want to write a reader for the ASE format ... do you know any docs about that file format ? ( there'y nothing available at www.wotsit.org ;-(
>>>>
>>>>Thanks in advance :-)
>>>>
>>>>Martin
>>
>>Hi Martin.
>>
>>I think there aren't any docs about the ASE format, because you don't need them. Just open an .ase file with notepad (or Word) and you see all you have to know to write an ASE-reader...
>>

That's quite right, yeah ! I've done that recently and almost everything is clear to me . But I can't find out what texture is applied to a specific face .. I know what textures are used but not *where* ... that's the problem ....

Weaser

August 15, 1999, 09:13 AM

by exporting the materials from the 3dsmax-file you can see which texture is used for a material.
and for every object there is also a value called Material_ref, which indicates which material is used for this object.
if you also export the mapping-coordinates, then youŽl have no longer a problem...

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.