Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / The purpose of this forum Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Forum Visitor #2343242

July 29, 1999, 12:31 AM

I'm just wondering why do people post a message in this forum? I mean we've got the fountain where the answers are guaranteed. In here it's like asking a fellow student instead of a teacher. And that means some of the answers are not correct. I feel that we could discuss about something else like good game designing.

Kurt Miller

July 29, 1999, 01:33 AM

Forum Visitor #2343242 wrote:
>>I'm just wondering why do people post a message in this forum? I mean
>>we've got the fountain where the answers are guaranteed. In here it's
>>like asking a fellow student instead of a teacher. And that means some

1) The Fountain doesn't have ALL the answers and sometimes requires a long
time for a response (depending on the writer's schedule).

2) Varied response. There is often more than one good way to do something
and plenty of people who hang around here know their stuff well.

3) Community. Its great to see new developers expressing their opinions
and in general just hanging out around these forums.

4) Opinions. Some of the post are basically opinions asking for a response.
Not really suitable for something like The Fountain.

If you want more reasons, I'm sure I can think up many more...

>>I feel that we could discuss about something else like good game designing.

By all means! Discuss whatever you want (related to game development preferably).
My question isn't why ARE people posting, its why AREN'T they? A mere fraction
of the site's visitors have ever posted on these boards, so what are you waiting
for? Start a thread on something... ;]

Kurt Miller

tangent

July 29, 1999, 02:19 AM

Forum Visitor #2343242 wrote:
>>I'm just wondering why do people post a message in this forum? I mean we've got the fountain where the answers are guaranteed. In here it's like asking a fellow student instead of a teacher. And that means some of the answers are not correct. I feel that we could discuss about something else like good game designing.

Aww heck. My service provider went down and by the time I got back on, Kurt Miller beat me
to the punch! (only about 20 min) Well, after deleting a bunch of duplicate responses, I am
left with:

You have a valid point - discussing good game design. This is important. I think it would
benefit everyone more in keeping a forum like this alive but possibly starting a new forum
if the demand is there. This would serve everyone's needs much better.

By the way, I tend to disagree with your verdict on this forum being like asking a student.
If good game design came to us naturally, we would not need to discuss it. It is a very valid
topic but we would wind up in the same dilema - how good is the answer from the person who
responded? This can be applied to any discussion. It is up to each and everyone to look at any
response given, attempt to understand it, and ***decide for ourselves if it is correct***.

By questioning the validity of every response, we would have to shut down all the forums since
we would never be guaranteed a correct answer 100% of the time. Then this web site would be
simply a bunch of tech articles and a place to email questions.

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.