Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Hello I Am New Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

QbCtek

July 04, 1999, 12:58 AM

Hello, i am new in programming C++ ( Not C or Anything else )

i have recently switched from QBASIC when i saw the power of C++ over qbasic. i was
going to make a game in qbasic named Dragon Lands But I am going to make it in c++ now
the only thing is i don't know crap about c++. don't know how to do graphics, sounds, i
only know the very simplist commands cin, cout, include, and a little bit extra.

if you can help me thanks i would like to find free ware programs on 3d animation(avi files)
and free ware on how to make 3d maps.

this game is going to be named Dragon Lands it is also going to be an rpg game very big.

if you can help me thank you.

Dj Cloud

July 08, 1999, 07:03 AM

QbCtek wrote:
>>Hello, i am new in programming C++ ( Not C or Anything else )
>>
>>i have recently switched from QBASIC when i saw the power of C++ over qbasic. i was
>>going to make a game in qbasic named Dragon Lands But I am going to make it in c++ now
>>the only thing is i don't know crap about c++. don't know how to do graphics, sounds, i
>>only know the very simplist commands cin, cout, include, and a little bit extra.
>>

Hello QbCtek!

If you are serious about starting programming on C++, maybe even not only games, then
there are some really good book on shelves for you. I suggest starting with "C++
Programming Language" by it's creator, B.Straustrupp. Also check out one called "Learn
C++ Programming in 21 Days". Myself I doubt that one can learn to handle every aspect
of programming in 21 days, but it is a good reference on C++ features.
If you plan to do 3D in your RPG game, start with "Computer Graphics: Theory and Practice"
by Foley and Van Damm. It covers many basic theories of computer graphics and contains
load of algorithms. It also has practicing exercises which makes it perfect for beginners
(of course you have to have basic understanding in high mathematics.) Another great book
on graphics is Alan Watt's "Advanced Computer Graphics and Rendering Techniques".
Well, I think that is pretty much great in starting your way into games programming world.
Hope this helps, and if it does - have fun!

Dj Cloud

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.