Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Network code Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Peter White

June 12, 1999, 06:52 AM

Ok, just wondering how to handle 'shots' (projectiles from weapons in case you were wondering) in an arcade-style multiplayer game. For rapid-fire weapons (like the Hyperblaster in Quake II) it just doesn't seem practical to create a game entity for *every* single projectile. However, if I let clients do too much prediction I can see shots going in completely the wrong directions.

For slow weapons (like Rocket launchers) in seems fine to create a standard game object and handle it like a player object... I'm sure that there's an easier way though. Any ideas?

Peter

Jaap Suter

June 12, 1999, 07:58 AM

I have no experience with this kind of shit but i have been thinking about it in the past. I suggest not creating a player like object for a rocket or something like that.

I would rather just send the type of ammo and the direction and the player that shot it and let the client do all the other work.

(just my thoughts however)

Jaap

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.