Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Basic graphics in C++ Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Steven Bruce

May 20, 1999, 04:17 PM

I have been using C++ now for nearly a year and I am interested in learning more about games programming. What I want to know is how do you do simple graphics in a package like microsoft visual C++ 5.0. What picture format do you use and how do you load up a screen and some kind of sprite to the screen and get him to move around using the mouse. I wrote game on the Amiga a while back using Blitz Basic and really want to carry the game on to the pc through visual C++. Any sort of help would be much appreciated.

Jaap Suter

May 20, 1999, 04:55 PM

I suggest picking up the directX SDK somewhere and buy yourself a book about directX.
I also suggest buying a book about C++. (Unless you already are familiar with C++)
You might learn directX without a book (it is possible), by just looking at tutorials. It worked pretty cool for me.

I came from turbo pascal using a vga library with only a pixel plot. THen I moved via Glide to directX. I must say i really like it. At first sight directX looks horrible but after the initial learning hassle you will learn to appreciate it's style (esspecially COM)

If you have any (really any) questions please mail me!

Jaap

Steven Bruce

May 22, 1999, 04:20 PM

Is SDK the DirectX software development kit? Where can I get it and is it free. Also do you know of any sites where I can get some good games source code from in C++. Maybe you have some yourself that you are willing to share. Just examples of things like opening screens and loading bitmaps into screens. Sprites and other things like that...

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>I suggest picking up the directX SDK somewhere and buy yourself a book about directX.
>>I also suggest buying a book about C++. (Unless you already are familiar with C++)
>>You might learn directX without a book (it is possible), by just looking at tutorials. It worked pretty cool for me.
>>
>>I came from turbo pascal using a vga library with only a pixel plot. THen I moved via Glide to directX. I must say i really like it. At first sight directX looks horrible but after the initial learning hassle you will learn to appreciate it's style (esspecially COM)
>>
>>If you have any (really any) questions please mail me!
>>
>>Jaap
>>
>>

Steven Bruce

May 22, 1999, 04:20 PM

Is SDK the DirectX software development kit? Where can I get it and is it free. Also do you know of any sites where I can get some good games source code from in C++. Maybe you have some yourself that you are willing to share. Just examples of things like opening screens and loading bitmaps into screens. Sprites and other things like that...

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>I suggest picking up the directX SDK somewhere and buy yourself a book about directX.
>>I also suggest buying a book about C++. (Unless you already are familiar with C++)
>>You might learn directX without a book (it is possible), by just looking at tutorials. It worked pretty cool for me.
>>
>>I came from turbo pascal using a vga library with only a pixel plot. THen I moved via Glide to directX. I must say i really like it. At first sight directX looks horrible but after the initial learning hassle you will learn to appreciate it's style (esspecially COM)
>>
>>If you have any (really any) questions please mail me!
>>
>>Jaap
>>
>>

Jaap Suter

May 24, 1999, 08:35 AM

Hi,

SDK = indeed the software development kit. You can buy it on CDROM on microsofts site. I believe it's downloadable at some places but i wouldn't know of any.

For examples. My site contains a 3dengine written in direct3d, but i guess you want to be starting with directdraw first. The sdk itself has a fair tutorial and some examples. But you might want tot check out www.directxfaq.com

There are some nice tutorials one bitmap loading and the rest over there. If it isn't there do a search for "david joffe directX tutorial" on altavista

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.